dbi default on .configure has changed

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Mon Aug 16 18:07:35 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 17:00 -0500, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 16:20 -0500, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> >> fOn Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Tommy Trussell
> >> <tommy.trussell at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I found the previous discussions of this, including the announcement
> >> for 2.3.12 back on April 21 (has it been that long since I
> >> compiled???):
> >>
> >>              * Change default from --disable-dbi to --enable-dbi. This
> >>                is needed so that 'make distcheck' will work with the
> >>                business sql backend tests.
> >>
> >> Sorry for the noise. I will add a mention of --disable-dbi to the wiki.
> >
> > Now that the business objects have been moved into the core area, it is
> > possible we can set it back to --disable-dbi as default.
>
> It might not matter; on a closer inspection of the wiki, someone
> already added the libdbi0-dev package as a requirement, which pulls in
> all that's needed to compile, even without any of the particular
> database libdbd-{sqlite3,pgsql,mysql} packages included...
>
> HOWEVER, not having even tried the database backends, is one of them
> preferred for any reasons or is it a tossup?

The sqlite3 backend provides a database in a single file.  It provides
the advantages of a database (SQL queries, consistency checking) with
the convenience of a single file.

The mysql and pgsql backends connect to external databases.  They can
provide more power, multi-user access in the future, and better use of
and by external tools.

Phil