python interface - access to price database

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.idps.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 09:32:14 EST 2010

On Wednesday December 1 2010 13:31:28 Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Peter Holtermann <peter.holtermann at systemausfall.org> writes:
> > Hi gnucash developers,
> >
> > As a pretty new gnucash user I recently installed gnucash via svn,
> > compiled it and I really enjoy using it, this is a nice piece of
> > software and my money is safe now :)
> >
> > One of the features I use is the python interface (the reason why I
> > installed the svn version). Nevertheless I learned (via the users
> > mailing list) that there is no python interface to the price database.
> > Are there plans to include these functions?
>
> As I said on the -users list, the python bindings are a donated work;
> you'll have to ask the original author/maintainer if they plan to add
> that functionality.
>
> > Regards,
> > Peter
>
> -derek

It may be already in there.  I'm not sure if this any use from:
"help gnucash.GncCommodityTable"
in ipython.

Help on GncCommodityTable in module gnucash.gnucash_core object:

class GncCommodityTable(GnuCashCoreClass)
 |  A CommodityTable provides a way to store and lookup commoditys.
 |  Commoditys are primarily currencies, but other tradable things such as
 |  stocks, mutual funds, and material substances are posible.
 |
 |  Users of this library should not create thier own CommodityTable, instead
 |  the get_table method from the Book class should be used.
 |
 |  This table is automatically populated with the GnuCash default commodity's
 |  which includes most of the world's currencies.
 |
 |  Method resolution order:
 |      GncCommodityTable
 |      GnuCashCoreClass
 |      gnucash.function_class.ClassFromFunctions
 |      __builtin__.object
 |
 |  Methods defined here:
SNIP

Documentation appears to be a bit thin however.

Mike E

--
GPG Key: 1024D/050895C2
Keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/