Grammar questions for documentation

Anthony Dardis adardis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 14:22:26 EST 2010

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 14:04:28 -0500, Cristian Marchi <cri79 at libero.it>
wrote:

> I'm working on some sed [1] commands that do automatically some grammar
> corrections to xml file (for documentation). For example I've a command
> that checks (and if false corrects it) if after a period there are two
> spaces, one removes the white spaces at the end of a line, one checks
> and corrects for uppercase char after a period and so on....
>
> Now I would like to know what you think about some of this grammar and
> terminology conventions:
>
> - after a full stop (period) in the text there are always two spaces
> before the following words (this is valid for english and not for other
> languages i.e. Italian). [2]

This is sort of changing: for monospace fonts (Courier, etc.) yes, 2
spaces after a period, but I think for variable width fonts 1 space is ok.

> - after a , ; : punctuation there is only a space before the following
> word.

I believe it's one space after , and ; and two after :

> - toolbar, titlebar, menubar, summarybar, statusbar and not tool bar,
> title bar etc... [3]

??

> - the period after a phrase beetween parenthesis is inside or outside
> the parenthesis?

If an entire sentence is inside the parentheses [that would be: `.  ('
begins the sentence], the period goes inside; otherwise outside.