Custom Reports Mgration from 2.2.9 to 2.3.17?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 13:32:03 EST 2010

--- On Tue, 12/14/10, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> From: Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be>
> Subject: Re: Custom Reports Mgration from 2.2.9 to 2.3.17?
> To: gnucash-devel at gnucash.org
> Cc: "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>, "John Ralls" <jralls at ceridwen.us>
> Date: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 1:22 AM
> On Tuesday 14 December 2010, David T.
> wrote:
> > Okay, so coming back to this thread (which I hijacked
> myself!), I *still*
> > don't have the custom reports from 2.2.9 available in
> 2.3.17.
> >
> > It seems to me that I shouldn't have both the
> saved-reports-2.0 and
> > saved-reports-2.4. Shouldn't these have been merged
> somehow?
> >
> > David
> >
> The way 2.2.x saved reports is incompatible with the way
> 2.3.x saves reports.
> That's why you just can't replace the saved-reports-2.4
> file with the saved-
> reports-2.0 file and hope your reports will be working. And
> the version number
> change is exactly for that reason: to deal with the
> incompatibilities.

I appreciate this information! Thank you!

> GnuCash does have some conversion code built-in though. It
> is triggered when
> it finds a -2.0 file and there is no -2.4 file yet. In that
> situation, it will
> convert all old reports into the new -2.4 format. This will
> also create the
> -2.4 file with your new reports.

Interesting. This did not happen when I first installed 2.3.17, and I suspect that the supporting applications included in the Mac bundle threw this off by creating saved-reports-2.4 before the built-in conversion code could run. I will try moving saved-reports-2.4 out of the way and seeing whether the old reports get converted.

> So, if you wish to use your 2.0 custom reports, you will
> have to move the 2.4
> file out of the way and GnuCash 2.3.17 will recreate it
> upon the next start.
>
> It may be possible to append the current -2.4 file to the
> newly created -2.4
> file to recover the saved reports you already had in
> 2.3.17. I haven't tested
> that though.

I only have one custom report special to 2.3, so I won't worry about it.

Thanks!
David