Releasing 2.4.0 tarballs this weekend

Mark Jenkins mark at parit.ca
Sun Dec 19 01:56:56 EST 2010

On 10-12-18 10:33 AM, Phil Longstaff wrote:
> I will be creating the 2.4.0 tarballs this weekend.  Please don't check
> in any changes unless they are absolutely critical.

> Derek, is there any way to lock the tree so I can make 2.4.0 without any
> danger of checkins inadvertently destabilizing the code?

It's probably 14 hours too late to say, but this might be a useful
situation for branching.

I realize the plan is to continue to base the 2.4 series on trunk for
awhile -- good idea.

A short lived branch with a name like 2.4.0-last-call-critical could be
forked off. Once there is a revision of it that makes a decent tarball
for 2.4.0, a 2.4.0 tag could be made.

With that done, someone could see if anyone screwed up and committed
anything to the 2.4.0-last-call-critical branch that they didn't also
commit to trunk. This branch would be officially considered dead once it
is tagged, so only a small number of commits between the branching and
tagging have to be also applied to trunk.