Onwards!

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 21:21:39 EST 2010

Hi Mike,

I’m just playing devil’s advocate here, looking for a way to ‘trim the fat’ from the bug list, since this is an interesting issue for us. Let me try to answer some of your points.

On 2010-12-29, at 20:04, Mike Alexander wrote:

>> […]
>
> […] I sometimes find bugs in parts of the code that I don't understand well or have no immediate plans to work on.  You think I shouldn't report them just because I'm a developer?

You could perhaps post it to gnucash-devel. It could be argued anyway that at this point it’s a vague, amorphous idea. When several devs have discussed and agreed on it, someone could then open a bug and attach a (preliminary) patch. From what I’ve seen, a lot of the time this is indeed what happens, anyway.

> Or maybe I think I know how to fix it, but it will take a while to code and test properly.  A bug report is useful in that case to let others know that it's a known problem which is being worked on.

Yes, but all I’m suggesting in this scenario is that it be a bug report with a patch attached, even if it’s a horrible/bad/broken patch. This at least shows that someone has or had the intention to work on it, and lets someone else come in and immediately get a clear idea of what the fix is trying to do.

I myself am guilty of opening and ‘abandoning’ bugs with the intention of coming back later to resolve them. I personally want to break the habit. Anyone else?

Regards,

Yawar