Building on MSWin

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Feb 15 17:40:56 EST 2010

On Feb 15, 2010, at 1:49 PM, Christian Stimming wrote:

> Am Montag, 15. Februar 2010 schrieb John Ralls:
>> On Feb 15, 2010, at 11:14 AM, Phil Longstaff wrote:
>>> Well, I finally got 2.3.9 released.  I noticed the win32 build is
>>> smaller than normal.
>>>
>>> I'm now going to be unavailable for about a month.  We should aim for a
>>> string freeze with 2.3.10 in middle to end of March.
>>
>> Speaking of the Win32 build (to test the dot-gnucash fixes), I've been
>> trying to build Gnucash on Win32 (to test the dot-gnucash fixes) using the
>> instructions at http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows. It's been a struggle
>> because of outdated versions in defaults.sh and the resulting changes
>> needed to install.sh, along with some hand installations of dependencies
>> not included in the shell script. Is that really the way that everyone
>> else is building GC on M$Win?
>
> Err, yes. What do you mean by "outdated versions"? Specifically the current
> final 2.3.9 build started by an empty build directory and downloaded and/or
> compiled all dependencies just as they are written in defaults.sh.

The following versions in defaults.sh are no longer in ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/dependencies:
libxml2-2.6.27
libpng_1.2.32-1_win32
fontconfig-2.4.2-tml-20071015
freetype-2.3.6

Reviewing the diffs, I think that the changes I made to install.sh were diagnostic rather than substantive.

I also had trouble getting perl and libintl_perl to behave the right way (the first needs to be msys-perl and needs to be found on the path; the other is used in one package to get intltool 0.40 to work right). I wound up doing some actions manually, and I'm not sure at this point which parts of what I did were actually necessary or correct.

Regards,
John Ralls