Windows Nightly Build r18676 Crashes on Start

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Feb 18 10:44:15 EST 2010

Did I understand correctly: The nightly build doesn't start because of
"libpng14-14.dll not found"? This is understandable because of my
recent commit r18664 http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/changeset/18664 which
updated several of the dependcy version numbers.

This may also have changed the resulting installer file size. No need
to read any tea leaves here.

However, this change in dependencies was incomplete - the previously
installed older dependencies are still being used for building the
resulting nightly build, but the DLLs are the newer ones. One of the
developers with build server access needs to log into the win32
machine and remove the old dependencies, but currently I didn't have
the opportunity to do so (and I won't have any time for this before
the weekend). Hence, the current nightly build might very well have
problems to be run until someone with build server access will clean
this up. But that's why the nightly builds are only this - nightly
builds. No further guarantees for anything.

Technicalities: libpng14-14.dll is required by several other binary
DLLs; depends.exe mentions libgdk_pixbug-2.0-0.dll and libcairo-2.dll;
however, the currently selected libpng_1.2.40-1_win32.zip only
contains the file libpng12-0.dll. The ftp.gnome.org server also
contains libpng_1.4.0-1_win32.zip which contains libpng14-14.dll, the
file in question here. Obviously it was a wrong decision by myself not
to upgrade to the very latest version of libpng (the new major version
scared me away) and this is what needs to be fixed.

In the future, please refrain from email subject lines using the word
"dead" for common error occurrences like these. Please use wording
like these only for really serious issues, but not for the
notification about an unsuccessful nightly build, because that's what
the nightly build intentionally is for. In any case, thank you for the
notification.

Regards,

Christian