Budgets and inconsistent handling of account sign reversal.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 22 16:16:46 EST 2010

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

> On Monday 22 February 2010, Jeff Kletsky wrote:
>> On 2/22/2010 8:16 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> > GnuCash does not handle data format schema updates well.  :-(
>>
>> oooof...
>>
>> Should I be scrambling to get in a place to properly store the default
>> budget, probably on the book, even though we're past string freeze, so
>> that there aren't data model changes once 2.4 comes out?
>>
> We're not in string freeze yet. 2.3.10 was meant to be string freeze, but it
> had to be rushed out because 2.3.9 was a crasher on Windows.
>
> 2.3.11 should be string freeze if all goes a planned.
>
>> It's on my "to do list" to be able to have a user set a default budget,
>> but that has UI impact that will likely need new strings.
>>
> Still possible at this point.

Note that schema updates don't depend on string freeze.  HOWEVER you
need to consider forwards and backwards compatibility issues.  For
example, we want files written by 2.4.x to be readable by e.g. 2.2.9.