Windows build failed, r18541 incompatible with guile-1.6

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Jan 4 14:00:53 EST 2010

Am Montag, 4. Januar 2010 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> Simon Ruggier <simon80 at gmail.com> writes:
> > After doing the above, I can build successfully using Debian's
> > guile-1.8-dev package. I don't know anything about Guile, so I can't
> > comment on how this issue could or should be handled on other
> > platforms.
>
> However, losing guile-1.6 support without discussion is a BAD THING.

The problem with current trunk and windows (i.e. guile-1.6) is that Geert
Janssens committed r18541 claiming that the replacement SCM_STRING_CHARS ->
scm_to_locale_string is necessary to fix bug#582325, "Crash when setting Fancy
Date format" (with lenghtly explanations there). Geert then informed us he
will be out of town until at least January 10th, which explained why he hasn't
replied to any of the questions here.

The first compile problem with r18541 is one of many guile-1.6 functions which
Geert replaced with their non-deprecated guile-1.8 counterparts, such as
SCM_NFALSEP -> scm_is_true. But even if we reverted all of that "cosmetics",
the main part of fixing bug#582325 is still a problem because guile-1.6
doesn't have scm_to_locale_string. Or, in other words, bug#582325 doesn't
occur in guile-1.6 but only in the recent guile-1.8 but there it can be fixed
only by using a new guile function which is not yet available in the old guile
version.

Maybe we should provide a #define workaround for scm_to_locale_string if
guile-1.6 is detected, and (unfortunately) revert the rest of the renamings?

Christian