r18568 - gnucash/trunk/src/business/business-gnome - Fix translation issues caused by r18474.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Jan 16 11:33:25 EST 2010

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

> On Wednesday 13 January 2010, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Geert,
>>
>> The problem with this change is that the dialog might be for paying
>> a Vendor Bill or Employee Voucher but now the tooltip will always say
>> "Invoice" and "Customer", which isn't always correct!
>>
> Where did you get the term Customer in the tooltips ? I thought I used the
> word "company".
>
>> What was the "translation issue" caused by this original change?
>>
> This was pointed out to me by Christian in a private communication. I
> originally set up the tooltips in code such as
>
> tooltip = g_strdup_printf(_(
> 		"The %s to assign this payment to.\n\nNote that is field is optional.
> 		"If you leave it blank, GnuCash'll automatically assign the payment to the "
> 		"first unpaid %s for this %s."), invoicelabel, invoicelabel, ownerlabel);
> gtk_tooltips_set_tip (dialog_tips, label, tooltip, NULL);
>
> This string could be used for Bills, Invoices and Employee vouchers as the
> proper values for invoicelabel and ownerlabel were setup just before in the
> code.

Correct.

> But this is not translatable for example to German, where nouns can have
> different predicates depending on their position in the sentence, while in my
> string the predicate is fixed ("the").
>
> So I set about fixing this.
>
> I noticed that "Bill" and "Invoice" are not consistently used throughout
> GnuCash anyway. Even the dialogs related to employees talk of "Invoice
> Information" and "Invoice ID".
>
> So I assumed it would be ok if I could come up with more generic tooltips that
> would work both with bills and invoices.
>
> But I do understand that "company" hardly works for "Employee".

* nods *

> Do you think there is a word that would be usable in all circumstances ?

Not a single word, no.  :-(

> If not, my only option will be to do what Christian originally suggested:
> Write full sentences for each case, and pick the correct one to add as a
> tooltip in code.

That's fine..  I was trying to avoid that, but if that's what you have
to do then that's what you have to do.