New Invoice Dialog Box

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Jan 16 11:38:30 EST 2010

Hi,

Yawar Amin <yawar.amin at gmail.com> writes:

> On 1/12/10 9:02 PM, Bill Jacqmein said:
>> http://www.ghacks.net/2010/01/11/invoicing-with-gnucash/
>>

> I just looked through this article (it's pretty good) and looks like the
> New Invoice dialog box is asking the exact same information  (invoice
> ID, customer ID, date opened etc.) that can be input in the invoice
> while it's being edited. Wouldn't it be simpler to have the Business >
> Customer > New Invoice command immediately open up a new invoice that
> can then be edited as the user wishes?

No, you cannot input or change the invoice ID, customer ID, date opened,
etc in the main Invoice page where you enter your invoice line items.
Think of it like an Account and an Account Register; you cannot edit the
Account information from the Register; you have to open up an "Edit
Account" dialog to change the account properties (vs. the account
contents -- the splits/transactions).

The Invoice is designed in exactly the same way.  You have the Invoice
Information (IDs, dates, etc) and then the Invoice Contents (the line
item entries).  In order to change the Info you need to 'edit' the
invoice "metadata" (by clicking on the Edit Invoice button).

The only meta-information you can edit from the main invoice window is
the Notes field and the 'active' button.

Would it be SIMPLER?  Maybe..  But it would be wrong.  It exists as a
dual window in order to protect the invoice from corruption by errant
inputs.