New Invoice Dialog Box

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 20:26:43 EST 2010

On 1/16/10 11:38 AM, Derek Atkins said:
> [...]
> No, you cannot input or change the invoice ID, customer ID, date opened,
> etc in the main Invoice page where you enter your invoice line items.
> Think of it like an Account and an Account Register; you cannot edit the
> Account information from the Register; you have to open up an "Edit
> Account" dialog to change the account properties (vs. the account
> contents -- the splits/transactions).

[...]
> The Invoice is designed in exactly the same way.  You have the Invoice
> Information (IDs, dates, etc) and then the Invoice Contents (the line
> item entries).  In order to change the Info you need to 'edit' the
> invoice "metadata" (by clicking on the Edit Invoice button).
>
> The only meta-information you can edit from the main invoice window is
> the Notes field and the 'active' button.
>
> Would it be SIMPLER?  Maybe..  But it would be wrong.  It exists as a
> dual window in order to protect the invoice from corruption by errant
> inputs.

OK, entry errors is a good point. I was approaching the invoice as if it
were a single document with `smart' fields for the meta-data. How about
separating the invoice meta-data and the invoice lines into two tabs?
That's what the big-iron financial software we use at work does, and it
works pretty well at preventing errors etc.

Y.