Hiring a GnuCash developer for a few days work

Tom Holden thomas.holden at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 21:38:24 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm the treasurer of a small(ish) charity, and I was wondering about the
possibility of hiring a GnuCash developer to work on a few plugins for us,
mostly around integration with CiviCRM (the donor management system). I have
begun work on the plugins we need myself, but given it took me about a day
to get it to compile (I really should have seen that "GnuCash does not
compile on Windows" message in the FAQ slightly earlier in the day...) and
half a day to get a plug-in to appear in the right place in the menus and
pop up a file-open dialogue when you click on it, perhaps it would be more
efficient if we could pay someone who knew what they were doing to work on
it instead.

There are a few things that need writing, but getting at least the basic
functionality together shouldn't be more than a few day's work. Our board is
having a meeting on Tuesday so it'd be great if I could have a vague idea
for a daily rate by then. (If indeed any of you are prepared to do such
work.)

Thanks in advance,

Tom Holden

P.S. The TODO list is as follows:

1) A plugin to import business customers from CiviCRM's CSV output.
2) A plugin to change customer numbers. (We store donors as customers with
9xxxxx IDs and members with sequential IDs starting at 1. Sometimes a donor
becomes a member, so it'd be nice if you could click to change their ID to
the next free 0xxxxx one without editing the XML.)
3) A plugin to invoice a member for their membership dues. (Select a member,
it pops up a dialogue box offering you two choices (full rate or reduced
rate) then generates an invoice from the appropriate template.)
4) A plugin to generate invoices from CiviCRM's promised payments CSV
output.
5) A plugin to mark invoices as paid based on payments from CiviCRM's CSV
payment records.