i need access to the gnucash source code and a recommendation of a good IDE

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Mon Jul 5 10:20:59 EDT 2010

On Monday 5 July 2010, adekoya adekunle wrote:
> i have just downloaded something from :
> http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/stable/gnucash-2.2.9.tar.bz2
>
> i want to know if that link contains a valid source for windows platform ?

The sources in that file can be used to build GnuCash on Windows, yes. The
sources are platform independent, so you can use the same set of sources to
build on Linux, Windows or OS X.

> i also want to know how to load the source code in any of the free
> open source IDE.
>

> i also have qt on my machine. can i use qt as my IDE ?

Qt is not an IDE in itself, it's a framework. There is the QDevelop IDE if I
remember correctly, but I have no experience with it, so I wouldn't know if it
can be used to develop on GnuCash.

There is some documentation in the gnucash wiki about using the Eclipse IDE to
develop on GnuCash, perhaps that can help
(http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Eclipse)

> i also want to know the file name that contains the entry-point
> function for the gnucash sofware ?

That would be src/bin/gnucash-bin.c. This file contains the "main" function.

> knowing the entry-point function would help me in doing proper trace
> of the application execution path.

In general the developer's documentation that is available can be found via
the GnuCash website (http://www.gnucash.org) as Ankur Sinha already suggested.

Additionally, for windows development, I would suggest reading
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows
And the README file in the packaging/win32 directory of the source code.

I will tell you upfront that developing GnuCash directly on Windows will be
slightly cumbersome as the build system GnuCash has configured for Windows is
fairly primitive.

Good luck,

Geert