r19325 - gnucash/trunk/src/report/standard-reports - Bug #556713 - inconsistency in report options, partial fix

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 9 10:36:39 EDT 2010

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

[snip]
> I ran these tests. The reports fail fairly gracefully. Every option for which
> I changed the name is reset to it's default value after the change. For now
> the options I changed are:
> * From/To -> Start date/End date
> * Accounts to include/Report Accounts -> Accounts
> * Filter Accounts -> Filter by...
>
> None of these introduced new strings, but this means a number of options will
> be reset on reports that are still open and saved reports.
>
> So two things have to be decided on here:
> 1. Are these report option resets acceptable ? Personally, I think now is
> better than in a future maintenance release.

Agreed.

> 2. I had attached a patch with some more option consistency fixes to
> http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/ticket/556713, which I was keeping for
> after the string freeze because they were changing strings. This now
> becomes a very debatable patch: I don't think these changes should be
> introduced in a maintenance release. I don't think our users would
> like to see their carefully customized reports being reset in a stable
> series. Introducing the changes now would break string freeze. A third
> option would be to wait for 2.6 with these changes.

I agree.  Either the reset happens now (breaking the string freeze) or
it waits until 2.5/2.6.  I don't have a strong opinion about it
personally -- you'll have to ask the translators if they mind.  If it's
only adding one or two strings then I think it's probably okay.

> Lastly, suppose we keep the changes I did now, where should the report
> options reset effect be documented ? In the release notes ? The FAQ ?
> Somewhere else ?

All of the above?  Certainly in the release notes.  Probably in the FAQ
or Wiki.