Upgrade from v2.3.1 - sql schema conversion

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 7 10:39:30 EDT 2010

Hi,

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

> On Saturday 5 June 2010, bdebrabant wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently running gnucash 2.3.1 with postgresql backend.
>> When recently trying to upgrade to the latest release, I've faced a few
>> issues related to the db changes.
>> When launching gnucash after the upgrade, it recreated the db schema,
>> dumping the existing one (which I had to restore from backup).
>>
>> One thing I've tried was to dump the data into an xml file. It failed,
>> due apparently to the amount of data.
>>
>> Aren't the db changes supposed to be automatically applied to the
>> existing schema (new columns, date formatting) when upgrading?
>> If not, is there a tool to convert my current database?
>>
> You are using an unstable version of GnuCash. There is no guarantee on data
> compatibility between unstable releases. So no, the db changes aren't
> automatically applied.
>
> If you say you tried to dump to xml, do you mean you tried to "Save as..."
> from within GnuCash ? And that didn't work ? Can you open it with say 2.2.9 ?
>
> Other than that, you could try to export to QIF and reimport that in a newer
> version. Or perhaps Phill has got a better idea.
>
> Oh, and if the data is important to you, please don't manipulate it with some
> unstable software ;)

There were a bunch of SQL issues in the early 2.3.x releases.   If you
were using 2.3.1 I'm afraid your data is locked in; there's no way to
upgrade, and I believe due to some of the issues there's no way to
extract it, either.

Sorry.

You'll have to start over.