embedded python interpreter

Mark Jenkins mark at parit.ca
Wed Jun 9 12:05:40 EDT 2010

Derek Atkins wrote:
> There will not be a python interpreter in GnuCash, so no, you cannot use
> Python to tweak or create reports internally.  That will still be
> covered by guile/eguile.  You could, however, write a standalone python
> report.  Or indeed you could write any standalone python app to read or
> manipulate gnucash data.

It certainly doesn't exist right now, but I believe an embedded
interpreter is technically doable.

GnuCash has a module system, and if I understand correctly the inclusion
or exclusion (depending on end-user desires) of an embedded python
interpreter and the interfaces for putting it to use could be done at
run time. (and the availability of such a thing decided on at build
time) Don't know if this would get accepted here upstream, but a
patch/branch that's kept in sync with upstream could be maintained in an
version control system elsewhere.

For any interested programmers here's the fine manual:
Embedding Python in Another Application
http://docs.python.org/release/2.5.2/ext/embedding.html

Swig may (or may not) also be useful for this kind of thing
http://www.swig.org/Doc1.3/Python.html

I'd totally work on this if if had other things out of the way and if
there was funding available.

Mark