Transaction logging and the dbi backend

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sat Jun 12 10:03:42 EDT 2010

Am Saturday 12 June 2010 schrieb Geert Janssens:
> But I'm unhappy with that choice, because it's inconsistent. I see two
> potential uses for the transaction log:
> * Data recovery in case of a crash
> * Audit trail
>
> So there's question number one: should transaction logging be enabled for
> all backends or only for the xml backend ?

After pondering your explanation a bit, I believe even though this feature
could have been for audit trail, in reality it never has been used this way
because e.g. there isn't any UI that would enable an audit evaluation. Also,
this hasn't been requested as a feature regularly.

Instead, regardless of the technical possibilities it has and is being used
merely as data recovery method. Because of this, I think it is sufficient to
continue using the transaction logging only for XML and for no other backend.

Regards,

Christian