r19260 - gnucash/trunk/src/gnome-utils - OSX: Use the language list instead of the locale

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Wed Jun 16 09:50:52 EDT 2010

On Jun 16, 2010, at 5:47 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> John Ralls <jralls at code.gnucash.org> writes:
>
>> * This new code looks at only the first two letters, so any time
>>  (e.g.) German is selected as the language it will use the de_DE
>>  localization. This will have to be elaborated if we ever get
>>  regional language translations.
>
> We do have regional language translations.  We have for example:
>
> pt.po, pt_BR.po
> zh_CN.po, zh_TW.po
> es.po, es_NI.po
> en_GB.po

Yes and no. Those translations are for the user-facing strings in Gnucash itself. r19260 is about Help and the Guide, where all the translations are indicated as regional translations (de_DE, it_IT, and ja_JP). The way I wrote it the first time, if someone had set her language to (e.g.) German and her region to Austria, the locale (de_AT) wouldn't match and they'd get English. Since this uses the language list instead of the locale, if someone who speaks French and German, and has those as his first two entries in his language list will get German help, since we don't have French. Before he would have gotten English.

Regards,
John Ralls