Elimiating the (first) Print Checks dialog

Jesse Weinstein jesse at wefu.org
Wed Jun 23 21:12:48 EDT 2010

It seems to me that it is an interface wart that we have two dialog
boxes in succession when printing checks.  First we have a dialog
containing Gnucash-specific items, then the system Print dialog comes
up.  Looking into it, I think it is possible to eliminate the first,
Gnucash-specific one, by inferring some items, and turning the others
into preferences.

Specifically, the Check and Date Format items can be turned into
preferences -- hopefully, people are not regularly printing checks in
different formats; if so, this could be specified per account.

The Check Position & Address info are specific to each check, but they
both can be inferred.  Check Position can be inferred from the check #,
as long as the check format knows how many checks per page, and an
initial check # that appears at the top of a page.  Address can be
inferred from the Payee by looking into the Vendor list.

Before I start working on implementing this, I wanted to check if folks
had any major objections, or suggestions about how to approach it.

BTW, I really appreciated all the responses to my post about my Gnucash
week; one of the reasons I picked Gnucash to work on was the friendly

Jesse Weinstein