Is there anything I should know to replace GnomeDruid with GtkAssistant?

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Jun 25 05:18:25 EDT 2010

On Thursday 10 June 2010, Tao Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on Bug 596254, Replace deprecated GnomeDruid/libglade with
> GtkAssistant/GtkBuilder. I have tried on
> src/gnome-utils/druid-gconf-setup.c, it looks ok.
>
> We should increase version of the dependent gtk+ from 2.10 to 2.12 to do
>  the replacing. Because libglade doesn't support any new widget after 2.10,
>  only GtkBuilder, which is introduced since 2.12, support it. And the
>  libglade is deprecated too, we should replace libglade with GtkBuilder
>  sooner or later, so the dependent gtk+ version will eventually reach 2.12
>  anyway. Based on the recent updated wiki,
>  http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Dependencies, almost all major platforms
>  support 2.16 or higher, so it should be safe to depend on gtk+ 2.12.
>
> Before I move on to the other druids, is there anything I should know about
> the replacing?

Tao,

For completeness sake, I don't think we need gtk+ 2.12 in order to replace the
druids with assistants.

GtkAssistant was introduced in Gtk+ 2.10. So it is possible to replace
deprecated GnomeDruid/libglade with GtkAssistant/libglade.

I know libglade is also deprecated and should eventually be replaced with
GtkBuilder. However, the xml file format of the LibGlade3 ui files is the same
as the GtkBuilder xml file format as far as I can tell. So if we would
introduce GtkAssistant/libglade now, a future change would be limited to
simply replacing libglade with GtkBuilder.

I am with Christian here (from another thread) that it would be a good thing
if the glade files were converted to glade3 still before we release 2.4. This
would avoid a lot of maintenance headaches later on.

In that work, I think it would also make sense to replace the druids with
gtkassistants, while keeping libglade for now.

Geert