Is there anything I should know to replace GnomeDruid with GtkAssistant?

Tao Wang dancefire at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 12:27:16 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Geert Janssens
<janssens-geert at telenet.be>wrote:

> On Thursday 10 June 2010, Tao Wang wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm working on Bug 596254, Replace deprecated GnomeDruid/libglade with
> > GtkAssistant/GtkBuilder. I have tried on
> > src/gnome-utils/druid-gconf-setup.c, it looks ok.
> >
> > We should increase version of the dependent gtk+ from 2.10 to 2.12 to do
> >  the replacing. Because libglade doesn't support any new widget after
> 2.10,
> >  only GtkBuilder, which is introduced since 2.12, support it. And the
> >  libglade is deprecated too, we should replace libglade with GtkBuilder
> >  sooner or later, so the dependent gtk+ version will eventually reach
> 2.12
> >  anyway. Based on the recent updated wiki,
> >  http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Dependencies, almost all major platforms
> >  support 2.16 or higher, so it should be safe to depend on gtk+ 2.12.
> >
> > Before I move on to the other druids, is there anything I should know
> about
> > the replacing?
> >
> Tao,
>
> For completeness sake, I don't think we need gtk+ 2.12 in order to replace
> the
> druids with assistants.
>
> GtkAssistant was introduced in Gtk+ 2.10. So it is possible to replace
> deprecated GnomeDruid/libglade with GtkAssistant/libglade.

I have tried to make GtkAssistant/libglade works, however, it cannot.
GtkAssistant is introduced in Gtk+ 2.10, and libglade doesn't support any
new widgets in 2.10 and after. Only GtkBuilder supports those new widgets.
That is the reason I suggested that we should move on.

--
Regards

Tao Wang