Equity Account Postings - a bug or a misunderstanding?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Jun 25 20:28:52 EDT 2010

(this should have been on the "user" list)

I would handle this with an asset account (as opposed to equity).

It is very like what for me is a common situation. I live in a rural
area, don't drive to town where the bank is every day. In fact, we try
to combine trips so only go to town once or twice a week. But I receive
mail six days a week.

Let's say the organization receives a check from national (our share of
membership dues and any extra donations made to our chapter but
processed through national). I record this into an asset account
"undeposited funds" split to the income accounts "membership" and
"unrestricted donations". When at some later date I get to town and can
make a deposit a second transaction transferring between the asset
accounts "checking" (or "savings") and "undeposited funds".

Isn't your situation like that? This money you are due as of some date
is an asset, but not yet deposited into the bank account where will be
going.

Michael

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.