Build dependencies (was: Re: Request: require glib2 >= 2.12)

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Tue Mar 2 15:15:44 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 11:17 -0800, John Ralls wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2010, at 10:32 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>

> > WebKitGTK is another dependency that we need to assess, I think. They don't actually have a declared "stable" release yet, though they have a quasi-stable 1.15 branch. Their announced plan was to have a stable 1.2 out this summer, but their list has been  very quiet lately, so I'm not sure how they're doing on that goal. I doubt very much that they're worrying much about backwards compatibility, though, and if WebKitGTK requires gtk+-2.20, our efforts at backwards compatibility are futile. Does RHEL5 support building WebKitGTK -- or provide an RPM?
>
> Well, WebKit has fiddled their configuration so that Gtk will only work with X11. This is probably OK for now, I can continue to use 1.12 as long as they keep it on their website (or I suppose I could re-host it somewhere if they don't). But perhaps we should look into Gecko as the rendering engine for Gnucash-2.6. It's too bad, because Phil put a lot of work into WebKitGtk.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Well, I've been wondering about gecko for 2.4.  I still can't build
webkitgtk/win32 properly, and there is a bug which prevents images on an
invoice with file:// uri type from showing up.  There are only 3-4
support files needed for a new renderer, and I have some time on my
hands.

Do you know if gecko (gtkmozembed) has what you need on mac?

Phil