astyle options [Was: Scaheme formatting with astyle]

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Mar 2 15:47:53 EST 2010

Am Dienstag, 2. März 2010 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> writes:
> > No, specifically this is not the case, as I have mentioned before. Astyle
> > produces slightly different output in one version compared to the other.
> > That's why I always noted the astyle version number in the indentations I
> > did so far.
> >
> > I don't have a solution here, except noting that we still won't have any
> > automatic way which "magically" and identically on all developer machines
> > will always produce the same indentation style. What we could do is to
> > install the identical astyle version (1.24) and we would get that, but
> > with different version numbers it won't be possible to have the same
> > indentation done automatically everywhere.
>
> I wonder if there's some way we could get the subversion server to
> make white space indentation changes when changesets are committed?
> Then we'd have a single place where all white space is controlled
> (namely, on the server).

I don't think this is a good idea. It would mean the commits are sent from the
client to the server, then modified on the server before actually committing
them, causing a different commit than what the client previously sent. IIRC
the SVN documentation recommends strongly against this. Instead, they say the
server should merely have a allow / deny decision up front, but it should not
modify the commit itself. The modification needs to be done by the user before
the actual commit.

In this case I'd stick with the SVN proposals and not have any modifications
of the commit on the server side.

Regards,

Christian