Problem with pkg-config with Windows/MinGW

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 3 10:09:51 EST 2010

Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> writes:

>> > That's true until a week ago, when we updated most of the URLs to
>> > their current version numbers - in our SVN version. Did you start from
>> > a gnucash source package? You should rather checkout SVN trunk
>> > directly, http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Subversion
>>
>> I wonder if we should keep copies of our dependencies available
>> somewhere on our own server so that people who DO grab source trees can
>> rebuild?
>
> I think this introduces unnecessary source code doubling. I think the
> cause of Ronald's problem was a too long period of not upgrading our
> version numbers in packaging/win32. Maybe we should add a comment to
> the error messages there saying in case the versions are outdated by
> now, the user should feel free to inform us about the current
> versions? But except for things which are difficult to obtain
> (e.g. libpq binary), I think we shouldn't deal with the hassle of
> hosting the source code packages for even more dependencies.

I'm not sure why it would be so bad to just put all the source .zip
files onto http://code.gnucash.org/<somewhere> -- and then all we need
to do is make the grabber check there as a backup.  It would allow
someone to re-build an older version with the 'correct' dependencies.
What "source code doubling" do you mean?

What happens if someone wants to rebuild 2.4.0 but the dependencies are
no longer there (c.f. the libbonoboui issue we're having).  If we had
the older version around then we wouldn't be dependent on gnome because
they're apt to screw us periodically....

Disk is cheap.  We have plenty of storage space to keep these old deps
around.