astyle options [Was: Scaheme formatting with astyle]

Jeff Kletsky gnucash at allycomm.com
Wed Mar 3 13:49:52 EST 2010

On 3/3/2010 7:06 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Christian Stimming<stimming at tuhh.de>  writes:
>
>>> I wonder if there's some way we could get the subversion server to
>>> make white space indentation changes when changesets are committed?
>>> Then we'd have a single place where all white space is controlled
>>> (namely, on the server).
>> I don't think this is a good idea. It would mean the commits are sent
>> from the client to the server, then modified on the server before
>> actually committing them, causing a different commit than what the
>> client previously sent. IIRC the SVN documentation recommends strongly
>> against this. Instead, they say the server should merely have a allow
>> / deny decision up front, but it should not modify the commit
>> itself. The modification needs to be done by the user before the
>> actual commit.
>>
>> In this case I'd stick with the SVN proposals and not have any
>> modifications
>> of the commit on the server side.
> Fair enough.  Secondary question: once we have the astyle in place
> should we add a pre-commit hook test that verifies that the style is
> enforced?

In my experience with this kind of thing being tried or even just
explored in commercial development environments, there will *always* be
an exception -- something that programX says is "formatted wrong" but
that you know is completely right. This always seems to happen when
closing the last few bugs with under 24 hours left until code freeze...

I think a warning is a good thing, if you want to use the hooks to check
it. Stuff it in the commented section of the commit message in the
editor even. That way you can see that the code has been "checked" in
some way and make a decision as how to proceed.