Webkit (was Re: Build dependencies (was: Re: Request: require glib2 >= 2.12))

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Wed Mar 3 20:18:33 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 16:56 -0800, John Ralls wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
> >
> >> You might recall that I filed a bug against WebKitGtk on this last
> >> summer, and got the rather tart reply that "we don't support Quartz
> >> for plugins" and a changeset that removed the distinction between
> >> MacOSX and other Unices in the file that caused trouble. I managed to
> >> patch around that (which is why I'm able to ship with WebKit
> >> 1.12). They've done more work, though, to extend the exclusion of
> >> Quartz and my patch doesn't apply against 1.1.15 (nor git master).
> >>
> >> I could probably write a new patch to get 1.1.15 working, but it seems
> >> to me that it's not really a viable long-term strategy.
> >
> > Hmm...  I wonder why they refuse to accept it?
> > * grumbles at devs that wont accept reasonable patches *
> >
> > How hard would it be to up-port your patch to 1.1.15?
>
> Dunno yet. Also don't yet know what else I need to do to get it to build. At the very least, the configure test for libXt has to be disabled, and whatever is in the code that uses libXt will need to be either removed or rewritten, depending on how important it is.
>
> The problem isn't so much that they won't accept a patch, it's that they don't want WebKitGtk to support quartz.

The webkit issue I'm looking at is that file:// images won't load.  It
has to do with the fact that on win32, a glib routine they use returns
the file type ".jpg" whereas on linux, it returns the mime type.  I
currently have a library based on 1.1.22 built with gcc 4.3.3.  Your
patch would need to be applied to 1.1.22, and we would then need to
figure out how to build properly.  The closest I've come is using the
mingw32 cross-development packages on a vmware vmx running fedora.
Unfortunately, webkit is so *damned* bleeding edge when it comes to
gnome/glib dependencies.

Phil