Announcing a new sub-project in gnucash: GUI in C++, Qt, CMake.

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Mar 4 23:24:02 EST 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 12:34 PM, Christian Stimming wrote:

>  Cutecash
>  Free Finance Software. Easy to develop, easy to use.

Well, I'm a C++ booster, so I'm in favor. But for the long term, why keep the core and engine in C? Letting the C++ genie out of the bottle means that we can over time redesign and rewrite the non-gui code as well. (Have you looked at Phil's roll-his-own vtable implementation in backend? He could have done it in a tenth the code and probably a hundredth of the time in C++. It would be faster, too, because the compiler would make optimized vtables in machine code.)

While I would have preferred Wx to Qt, either is a big improvement over Gtk+/Gnome for platform-independence, so another +1.
Qt does have the advantage that the aqbanking interface is already in Qt, so we need only one toolkit. (Do note that there is a C++ interface to Gtk+ called Gtkmm.)

Regards,
John Ralls