Vision behind the Cutecash experiment (was: Announcing a new sub-project in gnucash: GUI in C++, Qt, CMake.)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Mar 5 17:05:37 EST 2010

Christian Stimming (stimming at tuhh.de) said:
> I want to get in the place (again) where I can develop a finance software with
> a set of goals which are slightly different from those of the gnucash project.
> That's why I started Cutecash - just to see how far I and those who join can
> get in reaching those goals. I have the following two goals in mind:
>
>  #1: Create the best possible user experience in a finance management software
>
>  #2: Have the highest possible amount of fun during development

All I can say is that if rewriting an entire GUI interface from scratch in
C++ is what you find most fun, you're wired for a different sort of fun than
me. But more power to you.

> On the wiki page http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Cutecash I've additionally
> explained how some of my current design decisions are based on these two main
> goals. If anyone prefers the decisions to be chosen differently, he/she is
> very welcome to start a different project experiment, and we'll see the
> outcome of each of us after some time. I've seen all sorts of design decisions
> in gnucash so far. With all this observations, now I came to the point where I
> told myself I have to make some of those decisions in a different way in order
> to have a fun project again. Cutecash is an experiment with such a different
> set of design choices. It is up to the generous observer to decide which
> result will look better in the long run.

My concern is... why is this then in the main GnuCash trunk? Why not just
have the configury in the main trunk to build the backend separate, and then
we can have as many UI forks as we have people want to do?

Bill