Stabilizing 2.4.0

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Mar 7 16:31:27 EST 2010

Am Sonntag, 7. März 2010 schrieb John Ralls:
> > http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Release_Schedule#Feature_Checklist_for_2.4.0
>
> I've added a couple of OSX status items for things I know about.
>
> I also fixed up the releases table to reflect the actual releases so far,
>  and assigned some dates for two more unstable releases (for string freeze
>  and release candidate) and the stable ship date.

I think by the end of march another unstable release would be good. I'm not
sure whether this would also be string freeze or not, though...

>  They're not terribly
>  aggressive (I set April 15 for the string freeze release that was
>  mentioned in January, with the RC/code freeze and initial ship following
>  at 1 month intervals), but there's a fair amount of bug-fixing to do and
>  Phil still hasn't worked out WebKit for MSWin.

Sounds good to me.

> Should we declare "feature freeze" at this point, and perhaps make a 2.4
>  branch?

A 2.4 branch should not yet be made, but rather closely around the actual
2.4.0 release date. Even though there is also experimental work going on,
there is still a lot of bugfixing everywhere. If we branched now, we would
have a heck of a lot of merging / cherry-picking back and forth between
branches. I definitely prefer a 2.4 branch only very close before 2.4.0 date -
something like 2-3 weeks before that date.

Regards,

Christian