Unpredictable make -- possibly related to intl-scm/guile-strings.c

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Mar 11 05:32:05 EST 2010

Zitat von Jeff Kletsky <gnucash at allycomm.com>:
> I can, for example,
> 0) Run some builds
> 1) Checkout df0f85d and have it work
> 2) Checkout 8b062ba and have it fail
> 3) Checkout df0f85d (again) and have it fail this time
>
> or
>
> 4) Checkout edd8b26 and have it work (as it should)
> 5) Checkout df0f85d and have it work (which it does NOT if built in
> a "fresh" directory)
>
> From what I can tell, the only file different in the source tree
> between (1) and (3) in this case was intl-scm/guile-strings.c

I also do not have any idea what this behavior might be caused by. But
the file intl-scm/guile-strings.c has clearly no implication on the
build and the resulting binaries whatsoever - instead, the content of
that file is used solely when running "make pot" and generating a new
translation template (which is subsequently merged with the currently
existing translation po files). In all other cases the content of that
file is ignored completely.

Do you run make with the -j switch, hence using multiple jobs in
parallel? If you do, I'm not sure whether this is implemented
correctly everywhere.

Regards,

Christian