pthreads issue solved (was: Re: Windows XP, gnucash build problems)

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Mar 18 10:49:29 EDT 2010

Christian, Martin,

Thanks for your help and tips.

I finally found the issue, mainly thanks to the configure.log/status I got
from Christian.

I noticed that in my configure run all pthread tests returned successful,
causing the extra LIBMULTITHREAD="-lpthread" and LTLIBMULTITHREAD="-lpthread"
to be defined. In Christan's configuration these two were empty because all
pthread related tests failed.

This got me digging and I finally found that I have another Msys/mingw
installation on my system (from an unrelated project) in which a pthreads
library was installed. Oddly enough, the configure scripts found this library
and header, to run its tests, but libtool has issues with it later on.

The external mingw was installed in the default directory c:\mingw, while my
gnucash one is installed in c:\gcdevel. They are completely unrelated and
don't share any path. Yet there seem to be some information leakage between
the two.

The fix turns out to be moving the unrelated msys/mingw instalation away from
Msys' default path. It is now in c:\mingw-abm and the GC build now continues
on.

I guess this is a bug in Msys. It either has got a hardcoded path to c:\mingw
or it doesn't clearly separate the registry entries per Msys installation
(which the Msys documentation allows none the less).

Anyway, I thought I'd just write it down in case someone else got bitten by
this as well.

Geert