Proposals/feedback for a distributed version control system for cutecash?

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 23:48:34 EDT 2010

On 3/27/10 6:57 AM, Christian Stimming said:
> What is the experience around here with distributed version control systems
> (VCS) for a project of our size? In the long run I'd like to continue the work
> on the cutecash experiment outside of the gnucash SVN repository, and
> preferrably in a distributed VCS. I'd like to collect some feedback about the
> pros and cons of the distributed VCS systems around here...
>
> Ideally, I'd like to find a hosting location with distributed VCS hosting
> which automatically imports and tracks the gnucash/trunk SVN branch, though.
> However, the only hosting place that supports this seems to be launchpad.net -
> and their VCS is bazaar. (Hosting sites for git such as github.com at most
> import a one-shot import from SVN, but no automatic continuous tracking.)

I'd love to see Cutecash (and GnuCash) migrate to a DVCS. It seems like
most devs in this list who use a DVCS use Git, so it's probably an easy
decision to pick Git and GitHub.

I would add that for a history-rich project like GnuCash, it'd be very
useful to have a bare Git repo put up somewhere that could be downloaded
(possibly with a download manager that has HTTP resume support) and then
updated to the latest changesets. This avoids the `git clone' command
which might take a long time over slow connections and might not be
resumeable. A once-a-day updated bare Git repo would probably be good
enough.

This idea can probably be applied even now because people can use a bare
Git repo and contribute to the project while it's still on Subversion,
thanks to git-svn. So potential new contributors get the benefits of an
easily downloaded file and locally-available full repo history at the
same time. And sure, everyone can still clone if they want.

> [...]
> Do you know of any hosting sites with that VCS that offers continuous
> tracking of the original SVN branch?

Unless I misunderstand, doesn't git-svn currently offer continuous
tracking (pull & rebase or merge, commit & push)? Probably it's a bit
slower than pulling from a native Git repo though.

Best,

Yawar