We need to prevent multi-user access to the SQL backend (Re: New GnuCash article on LWN)

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Wed May 19 04:58:17 EDT 2010

Thanks, Herbert, for the link.

The article raises one valid serious concern: The database backend
does nothing to prevent multiple user access. This is bad because
simultaneous access to the SQL database from multiple users will
almost surely cause data loss. On the other hand, the technology term
"SQL backend" will almost surely raise the user expectation that
multiple user access were possible, so for sure people will give it a
try. Since it will corrupt their data, we need to build in some
prevention measure - the equivalent of the "lock file", but inside the
SQL database. Ideas, anyone?

Also, it's amusing to me to see the "cutecash" project already
mentioned in there, even though it's only accessible through the SVN
sources :-)

Regards,

Christian