We need to prevent multi-user access to the SQL backend (Re: New GnuCash article on LWN)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu May 20 12:30:12 EDT 2010

z33b0b at gmail.com writes:

> I think I understand at least some of the reasons for GC being single-user,
> but I'm curious if there's been any more thought lately to building
> multi-user functionality into GnuCash in future?

I believe there is an unstated goal of getting minimal multi-user
support working.  However doing it right is a major undertaking, because
it involves lots of cache consistency issues.  You have to make sure
that updates at one client affect changes in all the clients.  That's a
lot of work and restructuring for an application that wasn't designed
for that.

Repeat after me:  GnuCash is NOT a DATABASE Application.  It just uses a
database as a backing-store.

> Cheers,
>
> -- Erik Anderson

-derek