We need to prevent multi-user access to the SQL backend (Re: New GnuCash article on LWN)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri May 21 12:04:54 EDT 2010

Graham Leggett <minfrin at sharp.fm> writes:

>> Why not?
>
> Because a situation arises when both of you need to make writes. Which
> copy is the authoritative copy? Using svn alleviates this somewhat,
> but isn't ideal.

The authoritative copy belongs to whomever has the "write token".

> It is really easy to silently lose transactions, if a mixup occurs
> over who holds the master copy of the data file.

Indeed, which is why the "here be dragons!" warnings..

>>> The fact that gnucash can be asked to save the file in text/xml
>>> helps,
>>> because you can version this in something like svn. But versioning a
>>> database isn't easy at all.
>>
>> Why do you need versioning?  Versioning is overkill for data sharing.
>
> It prevents the situation where I add a transaction, then you add a
> transaction, silently overwriting mine.

That shouldn't happen if only one person can access the data file.

> Not only is the data wrong, it is silently wrong without warning.

Well, it shouldn't be silent..  You should have been warned that the
data file was in use.