Palm App FreeCoins data extracted to XML: How to read into GnuCash?

Kevin Buckley kevin.m.buckley at gmail.com
Sat May 29 20:59:44 EDT 2010

Last year there was a brief thread on the gnucash-user list
entitled "GNUCASH FOR PDAs??"

At the time I ventured the opinion that an old (some suggested
possibly no longer maintained) Palm application called
FreeCoins might have been what the original poster had
been looking for.

I thought I'd let you know that I have had some recent success
in extracting infomation from the FreeCoins Palm Databases.

I thought that if I posted the XML I have created on here, the devel list
I might get some feedback as to how to have GnuCash read it, or a
modified version of it, in.

I will post a similar message onto the gnucash-user list as that's a
slightly different audience.

I appreciate that at the moment there's no read from XML other than
the full file read in but if there was a possibility of say, reading in a
split pair then there might be some mileage in taking this forwards.

But anyway, I created two accounts, one asset and one expense and
created a transaction, moving 98.76 NZD between them.

The resulting XML is

FreeCoins-Currency.pdb

 <currency id="10031105" private="0" archived="0" modified="1"
busy="0" category="0">
<code>NZD</code>
<description>New Zealand Dollar</description>
<rate>1.000000</rate>
</currency>

FreeCoins-Accounts.pdb

<account id="1323009" private="0" archived="0" modified="1" busy="0"
category="1">
<type>0</type>
<parn>0</parn>
<curr>10031105</curr>
<baln>-9876</baln>
<clrd>-9876</clrd>
<lmit>123456</lmit>
<cbal>0</cbal>
<cclr>0</cclr>
<clim>0</clim>
<description>My 1st Ac</description>
<name>Acnt1</name>
<note>A two
line note</note>
</account>

<account id="1323010" private="0" archived="0" modified="1" busy="0"
category="1">
<type>3</type>
<parn>0</parn>
<curr>10031105</curr>
<baln>9876</baln>
<clrd>9876</clrd>
<lmit>0</lmit>
<cbal>0</cbal>
<cclr>0</cclr>
<clim>0</clim>
<description>My 2nd Ac</description>
<name>Acnt2</name>
</account>

FreeCoins-Transactions.pdb

<transaction id="4182018" private="0" archived="0" modified="1"
busy="0" category="1">
<date>2010-05-29</date>
<details splits="2" payment="5" />
<unknowns one="176" two="1" />
<rate>1.000000</rate>
<description>My 1st Tx</description>
<num>23</num>
<note>Some text
across 2 lines</note>
</transaction>

FreeCoins-Splits.pdb

<split id="12189699" private="0" archived="0" modified="1" busy="0"
category="0">
<tran>4182018</tran>
<acnt>1323009</acnt>
<amnt>-9876</amnt>
<sort>1</sort>
</split>

<split id="12189700" private="0" archived="0" modified="1" busy="0"
category="0">
<tran>4182018</tran>
<acnt>1323010</acnt>
<amnt>9876</amnt>
<sort>2</sort>
</split>

The codes I am using to achive the above make use of the pilot-link software
suite  of conduits.

Any comments welcome,
Kevin