2.4.0, what's left to do

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Nov 19 22:59:07 EST 2010

On Nov 19, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Yawar Amin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2010-11-19, at 11:12, John Ralls wrote:
>
>> […]
>>
>> Is the documentation ready? What about translations? We can do another RC without them, but they're needed for the actual release.
>
> My feeling is we’re not missing any user-visible _changes_ in the docs (Cristian Marchi recently updated with the menu structure changes). I do have to update the What’s New section in the Guide and the entity version definitions.
>
> Points for What’s New so far (partly from [1]):
>
> * New SQL backend secures your data and makes it more accessible with reporting tools
>
> * Budgeting commands easier to find
>
> * Many crashes fixed
>
> * ???
>
> I have one question: are we shipping 2.4.0 with default backend SQL or XML?

I think we are (and should) leaving the default as XML for 2.4. There isn't a substantial benefit for the ordinary user
to switch to sql until we (1) rewrite (or replace) qof so that it doesn't need to lock the whole database and (2) rework
the backend to make better use of sql's data integrity features (which means moving those functions out of qof).

Regards,
John Ralls