guid_g_hash_table_equal

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 22 10:02:29 EST 2010

Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com> writes:

>> This is one of many reasons I always recommend that people doing
>> development use a "prefix build":
>>
>>  ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnucash
>
> I guess I don't understand why this makes a difference. Without
> --prefix, my understanding is that the default prefix is /usr/local,
> yes? If I'm right, then there's no physical interference with
> Slackware packages, which are installed in /usr, like every other
> Linux distribution that I am aware of (and unlike things like OpenBSD,
> which puts user-installled packages in /usr/local). I *think* the
> problem here was the presence of /usr/lib64/libgnc-qof.so.1 on my
> system, which was there courtesy the install of the 2.2.9 Slackware
> package. 2.3.16 was behaving as if it was linking with that file,
> rather than the correct one in /usr/local/lib.

The problem here is that both /usr *AND* /usr/local are "special".  If
you specify a non-default --prefix then you change the behavior of all
the scripts and make sure it WONT interfere.  In particular, it will
specifically add RPATH info into the .so files, which it WONT do in /usr
*or* /usr/local.