Documentation in pdf format

Cristian Marchi cri79 at libero.it
Thu Nov 25 13:19:03 EST 2010

I've experimented a little with the pdf image size issue and I've found
a solution. Fop is printing-oriented so it doesn't consider the image
size but the pixel-per-inch (ppi) attribute. So if the image has a ppi
of 72 (as normally is when saving an image file) and a width of 510pixel
it will be printed with a width of 510/72*2,5=17,7cm. At this point I
figured out a simple way to convert all the images ppi in a run with
Imagemagik:. From the figures folder issue the following two commands:

ls *.png > list
for i in `cat list`; do convert -units PixelsPerInch -density 130 "$i"
"$i"; done

The best would be to have the ppi changed or (checked) automatically
when "make pdf" is issued (I don't know how to do this). If the check is
on user-side there will be the need of a new dependency (imagemagick) so
I think it would be better to have a check upstream.

So we need only to choose in what dimension print images in PDF and set
a ppi to all figures.

NOTE: the ppi attribute is not influent on image size but only in it's
printed size (on paper) and not in video. So changing this attribute is
like not changing it at all if you display the Manual on your monitor.