queries on mysql

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 09:21:12 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, November 26, 2010 3:26 am, Fred Verschueren wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> sounds easy but the drawback would be that all the work that I have
>> already done in GnuCash I need to do again.
>
> Yes, but it's only 1 month of work, vs. 10 years of data.  It's your choice.
>
>> Second, if it is that easy in Quicken and Money why can it not be also
>> that easy in GnuCash.
>
> I don't know if it IS that easy in Quicken, but GnuCash does not have the
> ability to act on multiple transactions at once.  It's possible that
> Quicken does (I don't know -- I've never used it).
>
> HOWEVER, during the import you might be able to re-assign the accounts..
> Or you may be able to massage the QIF itself with a perl script or text
> editor to get the changes that you want.
>
> My point is that if the import didn't put things where you want them to be
> then perhaps you should re-run the import.  Yes, I realize that means
> re-doing a month of work, but that's what?  50 transactions?  Just print
> out a report of those transactions so you can re-enter them after you
> re-import.
>
> Seriously, taking the time to get the import done right will save you much
> more time of angst and disappointment down the road.

I'd like to suggest another possibility. My understanding is that you
have a number of years of payments to utilities all charged to one
expense account that you now want to separate into more specific
accounts. If the descriptions of the payments allow you to distinguish
them with 'Find' in gnucash, you can end up with a register displaying
just, say, the payments for electricity. You then correct the expense
account of the first payment, select the correct account, ctrl-c to
copy, and then either use the mouse to select the expense account of
the next transaction and paste, or do the navigation from the
keyboard, which I find much easier and faster. If you do it from the
keyboard, you will use a combination of down-arrow (to move to the
correct row), tab (to move to and select the account), ctrl-v (to
paste the correct expense account) and enter (to record the change in
the transaction) to correct the next transaction. I don't think you
will have trouble figuring out the correct sequence. Once you do, and
get into the flow, you'll correct a transaction every few seconds. If
you have 10 years of data and you've paid your electric bill
once/month, that's 120 transactions. A piece of cake. Then repeat the
process for the remaining transaction types. If you end up processing,
say, 400 or 500 transactions, I think you'll spend less time getting
it right this way (if it's 500 transactions and you spend 10
seconds/transaction, which is slow, that's 5000 seconds, or less than
1.5 hours; and I think you can do it faster) than trying to learn
enough to write the code to mess with a .qif file or the data base,
write the code, and debug it. Hacking might be more fun, but I think
it will take you hours to get it right. I'd suggest gritting your
teeth and doing it the boring, manual way.

/Don