Looking for feedback for 2-step view style reports

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Oct 3 14:26:10 EDT 2010

Dear Matt,

your ideas sound very good so far, but also rather ambitious. My current take
on the reporting subsystem and definitions of extra levels of abstraction
before the final rendering is that this problem is a hard one. IMHO every of
gnucash's currently available levels of abstraction of a report still has
serious drawbacks. We saw several attempts over the years to define some level
"which has all the numbers but no rendering yet", but IMHO they all got stuck
in some clumsy state. Just recently I've been working on defining some
completely new reports, and - sorry for any fellow developer reading this - it
still sucks as much as it did 10 years ago. I'd be more than happy to see a
working implementation which really relieved the report writer from thinking
about the rendering design or vice versa, but I just think this problem proved
too hard to be solved so far. I.e. if you can find a good solution, chances
are good that others are more than happy to incorporate it in here as well.

I think the big problem is that "a data structure (which I'm calling
docstruct) which consists of a vector full of named lists"  might still not
yet cover all cases of interest for the report that should be shown to the
user. For example, names or numbers that should also contain a hyperlink might
need special treatment - probably your list elements need some sort of
attributes where things like a hyperlink can go to. Also, the various
completely different levels of grouping were one issue where the different
report scm files took completely different approaches, implying that a common
level of abstraction for that part seems rather difficult.

That being said, the gnucash reporting interface is open for many different
approaches. We can add a different reporting subsystem for a set of
complementary reports which we didn't have beforehand, and they can  live in
parallel to the old existing reports without any difficulties. My advice to
you is to just go ahead with your ideas and implementing that sort of report
which you have in mind as an application, without bothering about backward
compatibility or any of the existing reports. Just go ahead and try your
ideas, ideally with one particular fully implemented example where we can see
the results "from the user's point of view". I'm looking forward to hearing
how things are going.

Best Regards,

Christian