GNC_MODULE_PATH loaded twice

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Mon Oct 11 16:18:37 EDT 2010

On Monday 11 October 2010, John Ralls wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > You even imply more than I intended. If I understand your reasoning
> > correctly, (DY)LD_LIBRARY_PATH should contain paths for shared libraries
> > only, while GnuCash' loadable modules should be in a directory that's NOT
> > in (DY)LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> > GnuCash effectively has all of its loadable modules in lib/gnucash. This
> > is what GNC_MODULE_PATH is set to by default.
> > So to follow your reasoning, GNC_MODULE_PATH should not even be added to
> > (DY)LD_LIBRARY_PATH ever ? Not in the gnc_module code, nor in the
> > launcher scripts ?
>
> Since gnc-modules.c does it's own search of GNC_MODULE_PATH, there should
>  be no reason to add it to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Yes, that's how I understood as well from my study.

> (I went a bit overboard in my earlier letter. I should have checked the
>  manpage first: dlopen will search LD_LIBRARY_PATH if it's given a filename
>  with no file separators in it, so there's a case for using it in other
>  programs that don't have their own search mechanism.)

As far as I'm concerned, I agree here.

I'll remove the LD_LIBRARY_PATH modifying code from gnc_module, together with
the blending of GNC_MODULE_PATH with LD_LIBRARY_PATH via environment and
friends, and see if all still continues to work.

Thanks for your feedback.

Geert