Patch for guide file "ch_basics.xml"

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Oct 13 12:35:20 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 12 October 2010, Cristian Marchi wrote:
> I attach the diff for the "ch_basics.xml" guide file. I've reviewed the
> entire document and I've corrected some typo. The majority of works went
> in updating the "Preferences" chapter.
> I've also added, where applicable, the structure for menu, submenu and
> menuitem (e.g.
> nuitem>Import QIF</guimenuitem></menuchoice>).
>
> My English is not perfect so it's (very) possible that I made some mistake.
>
> If I don't get any comments, in the week-end I'll commit the changes.
>
> Thanks
> Cristian

While reading Cristian's work on the preferences dialog, I found some issues
with the dialog itself that don't have anything to do with the guide. Before I
go fix these issues, I'd like some feedback from others:

* Summarybar content. This is currently an option in the Accounting Period
tab. I find it very confusing in there. The two options that can be set here
have no relation to the accounting period whatsoever. So I propose to move
this option to another tab. The Miscellaneous options tab already has some
Summary bar related parameters (position). Perhaps it's better to group them
there ?

* Business -> Open in new window and Accumulate splits
These are valid for both invoices and bills and should be positioned as such.
The current ordering seems to suggest they are only used for invoices and not
bills. I propose to move them before "Invoice", optionally with another
section title, like "General" (which incidentally exists already in the po
file, so that this change wouldn't break string freeze)

* Business -> Number of rows and Register Defaults -> Number of rows
These parameters don't seem to have any visual effect. Wouldn't it be better
to remove these options then ? We can still keep the gconf parameters though
as they are read by the code. Or we can also remove the code regarding these
options.

* General -> Show splash screen
IMO this is an option just to have an option. I can think of no mature
application program that has a preference setting to enable or disable the
splash screen. Either an application has a splash screen and it will be
displayed, or it doesn't have one. I imagine there were some issues with
splash screens in the past and hence it was made optional (I found some
references in the code that there could be issues on OS X, but they have been
worked around programmatically). I vote to remove the option and always show
the splash screen. You can always click it away if it's in your way.

I realize Cristian that these changes would mean you'd have to redo some of
your screenshots and move some more text around...

Comments ?

Geert