Patch for guide file "ch_basics.xml"

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Oct 14 06:11:17 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 13 October 2010, jh wrote:
> Hi Geert,
>
> > * Summarybar content. This is currently an option in the Accounting
> > Period tab. I find it very confusing in there. The two options that can
> > be set here have no relation to the accounting period whatsoever. So I
> > propose to move this option to another tab. The Miscellaneous options tab
> > already has some Summary bar related parameters (position). Perhaps it's
> > better to group them there ?
>
> AFAIK, the 'Profits' in the summary bar are calculated over the
> 'accounting period'
> Juergen

I knew that, but thank you for bringing it up as it raises another small
issue.

(I'm wearing my reviewer's hat here, please don't think I'm criticizing you or
anybody else. I'm just deliberately questioning everything about GnuCash and
the documentation to find rough spots.)

The thing is, you know that and I know that. But does a new GnuCash user also
know that ? You see, I didn't find a mention of that in the preferences
documentation. And neither is it explained when the summary bar is first
introduced in chapter 2.3.3.

That's one point: we should probably explain in a little more detail what the
summary bar is all about. Perhaps it's in there somewhere already and I missed
it. If so, I think a link from the summary bar introduction in the basics
chapter to the detailed information later on would be useful.

Back to my original question: should the summary bar options be stored under
"Accounting Period" or not ?

As you mention, there is a link between the summary bar and the accounting
period indeed. But the two options you can change in themselves have nothing
to do with the accounting period.
If you'd have asked me a week ago to change what information the summary bar
displays, I would never have searched for it under Accounting Period. In the
existing tabs, there is no tab called Summary Bar, so I would probably first
have looked under General, then under Windows, then under Accounts (the
summary bar is in the Accounts window after all) and then start clicking the
other tabs one by one.

Really, I mentioned this because the location of these options struck me as
rather unintuitive even while understanding the relationship.

I don't have a good alternative though. So for now I'd suggest to only move
the Summarybar options below the date options. Start/End date are two
parameters I much stronger relate to the accounting period and are the first
two I'd want to configure for it.

Geert