Patch for guide file "ch_basics.xml"

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri Oct 15 03:19:10 EDT 2010

Zitat von Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be>:

> On Thursday 14 October 2010, jh wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 12:11 +0200, Geert Janssens wrote:
>> > Really, I mentioned this because the location of these options struck me
>> > as rather unintuitive even while understanding the relationship.
>> >
>> > I don't have a good alternative though. So for now I'd suggest to only
>> > move the Summarybar options below the date options. Start/End date are
>> > two parameters I much stronger relate to the accounting period and are
>> > the first two I'd want to configure for it.
>>
>> so far I thought, that changes in the GUI would fall under the
>> feature/string freeze.
>>
> To be honest, I don't know what the rules are here. For me also this is the
> first time I go through this phase in the release cycle as a dev. So I hope a
> more experienced developer can shed some light on this.
> Is it still ok to make (minor) GUI changes at this point ? Or should that be
> considered in conflict with the current Feature/string freeze we're in ?

No, the changes are fine. Currently in the "string freeze" we try to
not introduce any untranslated string. Reordering or re-grouping of
some of the preference dialogs (probably) doesn't violate that rule.

On the other hand, changing the design of the dialogs would indeed
interfere with e.g. Juergen's work on documenting the dialogs, where
he has already created plenty of screenshots of how gnucash currently
looks like. r19635. Those would need to be updated again, which is
somewhat a PITA. On the other hand, this is the first time for years
that people have really come up with helpful proposals to improve this
messy dialogs. In my opinion, the benefit from changing it now (where
we currently have the proposals) is large enough to accept the
inconvenience of having to recreate some of Jürgen's documentation
screenshots. Hence, especially if Jürgen is involved in the
discussion, I would strongly recommend to go ahead and finally make
this dialog usable again. Just do it :-)

As for the general process: Yes, we (well, I) declared this a string
freeze period, but OTOH we are still missing a final release date,
which means a date after which the string changes are allowed again.
Our release process is incomplete in that respect. This becomes
increasingly important as some people (including me) now have an
increasing stack of new features, and I would like to commit those,
but cannot do it unless we get out of the string freeze phase again.
In other words: We should better get 2.4.0 out the door, or otherwise
I will request to have another round of non-string-freeze unstable
releases again just because the new features need to get out of the
door as well. But that's a different discussion for another day.

Regards,

Christian