Installing Python Bindings

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 10 09:56:05 EDT 2010

Hi,

"..." <offonoffoffonoff at gmail.com> writes:

> Looks like there is still activity with python bindings.  I wasn't sure
> because the website (http://parit.ca/projects/pythongnucash/) hasn't been
> updates since 2008, and install instructions refer to gnucash 2.0.4 (I am
> running gnucash 2.2.6)

That's because it's been integrated into the gnucash sources.

[snip]
> I moved all the files from gnucash-2.2.6/src/
>
> but what was that part about manually populating gnucash_c_headers?  I still
> get this error:
> $ python setup.py build
> running build
> running build_ext
> building 'gnucash._gnucash_c_interface' extension
> swigging gnucash/_gnucash_c_interface.i to
> gnucash/_gnucash_c_interface_wrap.c
> swig -python -Ignucash_c_headers -Ignucash_src_c_headers
> -Ignucash_src_c_headers/engine -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
> -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/gnucash/ -o
> gnucash/_gnucash_c_interface_wrap.c gnucash/_gnucash_c_interface.i
> gnucash/glib.i:66: Error: Unable to find 'glib/glist.h'

This looks like you don't have the glib dev package installed?

> gnucash/_gnucash_c_interface.i:258: Error: Unable to find 'gnucash/Group.h'

There is no gnucash/Group.h anymore -- probably using older bindings?

> /usr/include/gnucash/qofutil.h:54: Error: CPP #error ""No scanf format
> string is known for LLD. Fix your ./configure so that the correct one is
> detected!"". Use the -cpperraswarn option to continue swig processing.
> error: command 'swig' failed with exit status 1

This gets set from the gnucash configure script.

> Where are these files supposed to be from?  and I put them into a directory
> I create right next to /gnncash_src_c_headers?
>
> I am running Ubuntu 9.04
> SWIG is most recent version in package manager
> python is 2.6.2
>
> looking forward to playing with this.

You're probably better off pulling down 2.3.x and building from there.