Gource Representation

Thomas Bullock tbullock at nd.edu
Fri Sep 10 15:16:04 EDT 2010

Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 21:19:25 +0200
From: Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be>
Subject: Development visualization with gource
To: "gnucash-user at gnucash.org" <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
Cc: gnucash-devel at gnucash.org

Today I felt like doing something else than hunting bugs on the GnuCash code, so I made something prettier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7jrct45jdE

This video is a visual representation of the development of GnuCash since its early beginnings in 1997 up until today.

Above is a <SNIP>

Beautiful job, Geert!

A couple questions:

a) who is the queen bee at the very start of the demo?  Derek Atkins?  Someone no longer on the project?  Very impressive chain of activities.

b) I assume you did this with the changes to code.  Would doing the same to the documentation be worth showing?

c) Due to the plethora of branches spinning off in so many directions it is confusing to understand what is illustrated.  Are some of the small branches now defunct?  Or how are these to be understood and which is the main branch from which we take the stable version?  If that can be detected from the info in the graphic display, my visual was too small to read the numbers and words.  The graphic is a great presentation of what is happening or happened.  A footnote on at least the main  branches would help appreciate the various parts.  Don't know if that would be possible.

I really like what you created and would like to see that as an ongoing component of GC to help newcomers appreciate where we came from and where we are now.

Tom